Kate’s Turmeric and Ginger Fertility Latte
Just recently there has been a great deal of ‘noise’ surrounding the health benefits of turmeric, the ‘Golden Spice’. Turmeric is reported to be beneficial as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory for cardiovascular and musculoskeletal health, as well as stimulating the digestive system and having cancer and Alzheimer prevention properties. Whilst the current research in to the benefits of for fertility is limited, it’s anti-inflammatory action may be helpful for conditions such as PCOS and endometriosis.
More research is required to fully understand any such benefits but what turmeric does currently offer is a delicious and healthy alternative to your morning coffee. Over the last few weeks, I’ve been trying out a few recipes and have come up with my version of this tasty and warming drink.
- 1cm piece of root ginger (peeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric (fresh turmeric can be hard to find but if you can get it, all the better)
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of almond milk
- Honey to taste (I use organic honey from my friend’s beehive – perfect!)
Makes 1 cup, double quantities if making for 2
- Add the ginger, turmeric, coconut oil and salt to a blender (I use my NutriBullet and it makes it perfectly)
- Blitz until all combined
- Gently heat the almond milk until just simmering
- Add the milk to the NutriBullet/blender and carefully blitz again
- Add honey to taste (I find that 1 teaspoon is about right)
Sit back and enjoy